Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
1.6-8v V.S. 16 valve rods are they same?

I am wondering if the 8 and 16 valve rods form the 1,6 are the same. I know the blocks are identical, but the heads and pistons are different.

I am wondering if the rods are the same because I want to order some .40 samurai high comp pistons to put in my 8 valve. I want to use the 16 valve rods because I have a spare set.

The plan will be to run my current engine as is, until I ca get the work dones to get the .40 samurai pistons on the 1.6 rods. Once I have that done I will pull down the motor to drop them in.

I don't want to tear down my engine, and wait for the machine shop to get the .40 pistons install on the rods. With custom work, a guy could end up waiting a few months, and I can;t have the3 zoook down for that long.

So does anyone know if the 8 valve and 16 valve rods are the same?

I am workin' on peppin' up the 1.6,so I sure appreciate any advice/help I can get.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
I am pretty sure they are. IIRC, there was a difference between early rods and late rods (they made the later rods thicker/stronger).
Ok, I looked at one of my old links and it says the 89-90 rods use a press fit pin and the 91-00 rods use a floating pin. They are all the same length for any 1590cc engine.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Skyhiranger, that brings up another point.

Do you know what type of rods do the 1.3 engines use? I can't seem to remember if they are pressed, or floating and I had no luck searching (I know the info is here).

Thanks again.
--Sky
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
press fit, from what the link says.....
http://www.standardcrankshaft.com/co....html?sid=4259
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
skyman

So if one were to use early rods with the press fit, and 1.3 pistons it looks like all you would have to do is bore out the wrist pin hole on the 1.3 piston to fit the larger pin from the 1.6.

Is it that simple? I guess I would have to buy a set of early rods, and bearings to put the 1.3 pistons on,b ut other than that it looks liek it would work.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
skyman

Tnanks for that link by the way, great info
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
skyhiranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman View Post
So if one were to use early rods with the press fit, and 1.3 pistons it looks like all you would have to do is bore out the wrist pin hole on the 1.3 piston to fit the larger pin from the 1.6.

Is it that simple? I guess I would have to buy a set of early rods, and bearings to put the 1.3 pistons on,b ut other than that it looks liek it would work.
No idea. That would be a question for someone who works with the internals of engines more than I do.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
riev zuki

riev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman View Post

You can take any Rod Reem it, or Bush it and reem it to fit almost any Piston comb you want. I took some Rods and bushed them and then made them full floating and use Teflon buttons for a 1.6 8v I'm building. There is a thread about this that I posted pictures of the Piston Rod combo I used.

88.5 Sami 1.6 8v, EFI. Thorley, 4.9 t/c, Detroit ezlocker rear, 31" MT, spoa,ots, Hella lighting. CB.
riev zuki is offline   Reply With Quote