Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > FAQS
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

FAQS Answers to the common questions here. Please feel free to help build this area with your own FAQ's post!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
Engine runs like Cr@P? Check the plugs!

My 1.6 8-valve has been running worse over the winter.

At first I thought that it just needed the "cobwebs" blown out.

Unfortunately, the following problems did not go away after a bit of driving:

Rough running, mild backfires, poor performance.

I checked the sparkplug wires and although reseating the sparkplug wire connections at both ends did seem to help a little, the problem was still there.

So I removed the sparkplugs for inspection.

All four of them had heavy tan deposits on them!

Here is basically what my plugs looked like:

(courtesy http://www.verrill.com)

This type of deposit is caused by "the burning of oil and/or fuel additives during normal combustion ... normally non-conductive. When heavier deposits are allowed to accumulate over a longer mileage period, they can 'mask' the spark, resulting in a plug misfire condition."

A quick trip the O'Reilly's for a new set of NGKs and a bit of wrenching had the engine running MUCH better! Apparently the tan buildup WAS masking the spark path as described above - causing a lot of fuel to end up detonating in the warmed-up exhaust pipe instead of inside the cylinder.

So, it looks like maybe I am burning a bit of oil through the valve seals as I do not use any fuel additives... Though occasionally, I do buy cr@p gasoline.

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Mullet

Mullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond repute
What number ngk are you running Ack ? I just changed my plugs,and went from a bpr5egp to a bpr6es. Mine seems to be running a tad rougher with the new plugs.

I know you changed them since 2010, but still a relevant thread to my questions
Old 06-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
spark plugs...

Dang, Mullet! It's raining like it's the 'effin End Of The World right now!

You don't want me to MELT, do you?

I should have indicated exactly what plugs I bought, eh?

I'll find out and get back to you on this in a bit...

June 15, 2013 4:31pm

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Well alcohol is a fuel additive, even though it is the refinery doing it. Wait until E15 becomes a standard fuel....that mixed with a little oil blowby is what probably created the interesting growths on your plugs.

thanks for the reminder to check mine!

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Mullet

Mullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack View Post
Dang, Mullet! It's raining like it's the 'effin End Of The World right now!

You don't want me to MELT, do you?

I should have indicated exactly what plugs I bought, eh?

I'll find out and get back to you on this in a bit...

June 15, 2013 4:31pm
Melt ??? I'd just have to worry bout floating off

I'm pissed with my new plugs. First time in my life I changed the plugs and it runs worse than with the new ones. I reckon I could change them back. I did change the wires and cap and button too, and I already rechecked to be sure everything is good. Maybe I got a bad part ?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
Mullet check the gap well. we've seen a lot of the ngk's that have a softer tip on them, slightly bump them installing them and they bend.

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a link to NGK spark plugs, the higher the number the "colder" the plug, if you want hotter than a 5 you need a 4.

Ack, throw a little HEET or Seafoam in the tank.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...k_plugs/p2.asp

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Mullet

So I went from a hotter plug to a cooler plug. I cant believe it made that much of a difference. Im going back to a 5 instead of the 6 and that should fix my problem.