Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
86Samurai

86Samurai is on a distinguished road
1.6 8V air intake

I am using the air intake hose/filter box from the 1.6 8V motor. The filter box sits on the driver front fender. To me, this seems to be a bad location because all the hot air from my header accumulate right there. My engine is taking in hot air.
-
Does this decrease my HP?
How and what are you guys using for intake / air cleaner box?
Pictures of your set up would be great...

Last edited by 86Samurai; 08-02-2009 at 01:34 PM.
86Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
DIRTBIKERICK

DIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond repute
Are you efi?, if so just measure the o.d. of the air inlet horn and go to the k/n website and pick out a round cartridge clamp on filter, i think mine is around 8x5, works great and does not weigh enough to need a support, i used the one that came on my cold air kit when i had a carb, it was slightly bigger than the o.d. on the inlet horn so i just put a rubber slip ring on to make fit, nice inlet sound when you pin it too.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
hillbilly
Pimpster

hillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond reputehillbilly has a reputation beyond repute
Look through this sites articles. http://autospeed.com/S_10/cms/section.html There are some really good ideas on air inlet designs and finding the right place to pick up your cold air.
Member of save from the Foundation
FOREVER WTSS!
hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Samurai View Post
I am using the air intake hose/filter box from the 1.6 8V motor. The filter box sits on the driver front fender. To me, this seems to be a bad location because all the hot air from my header accumulate right there. My engine is taking in hot air.
-
Does this decrease my HP?
How and what are you guys using for intake / air cleaner box?
Pictures of your set up would be great...

You sir are thinking the same way as me, and mine is going to change, most have seen pictures of my motor and mine sits with the open element filter just over the header. And a long slow climb, 6000 feet to just over 12,000 feet in 4 low second gear 2500rpms the header got hot enough to melt my clutch cable so how hot was the air my motor was sucking in? And how hot did that make my motor temp wise? I will have a up and comming post on what I do.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
riev zuki

riev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond repute
I'm using a K&N going over to the left side and anglling back towards the hood slots by the firewall. Tucks in there great.
I am planning on using the 91 tracker air box and fender snorkel, with fresh air ducting from the outside. I want a stock look because soon I will have to go to the referee station to get a CARB sticker for smog. And will pass better if stock looking. All though the stock tracker air box has no other hose's than the air to tbi. Same as the K&N.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9...I168VSTART.jpg

Last edited by riev zuki; 08-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.
riev zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Jeremiah

Jeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah has a reputation beyond repute
I always hated that the intake runs over the header I've thought a few times about cutting & flipping / tapping / welding the intake so it comes from the passenger side...

but for the effort & cost (would have to pay someone to weld aluminum), I don't think I'll really see any solid gains out of a 95 HP engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
86Samurai

Riev,

That's is what I am thinking of doing but that is the same place where my current air filter box is right now.
-
Are there any other options?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not thinking of the HP gain as much as how much cooler will the motor run if I'm not pumping it full of very hot air. If the air off the header is hot enough to melt my clutch cable and my air cleaner is right next to it it can't be doing my motor any favors sucking that air into my motor.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
DIRTBIKERICK

DIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTBIKERICK has a reputation beyond repute
WOW, Billsbar that sounds hella hot, i'm at sea level, we don't run that hot out here, i did you fan mod by the way, thanks for the flip over shroud tip. your right on intake temp causing h.p. loss, for every 10 degrees positive intake temp you loose 1 percent h.p., thats why we intercool turbo engines, thus a 300 h.p. engine that has a 50 degree intake temp change either up or down just gained or lost 15 h.p. I have not figured out what i'm going to do with mine yet, more than likely some sort of forced air inlet box. Remember the early muscle cars like dodge with the vacuum servos for opening the hood scoops?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute
i think heat will always be an issue in such small engine bay we have and at low speed it will always suck heat anyways but with some heat shields and insulation around air ducts it could help a bit but the best thing i did was an 7 inch electric slim fan bought on ebay that blows air downward on my headers did all the difference .

MY BUILD THREAD

240hpsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Jeremy

Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
just worth....but that's why i run a snorkel....that way i am pulling in cooler outside air instead of hot under the hood air....but i also understand that some of your rigs are too nice to cut holes into body panels to run a snorkel
"If everyone in the whole world had the same skin color, hair color and eye color, if we were all the same religion, if we all had the same favorite sports teams, drank the same beer, drove the same car, and spoke the same language, if we all hung our toilet paper the same way, listened to the same music, had the same hat size, and used the same toothpaste, mankind....... would still find a reason to divide into at least two groups and kill each other."
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
crazygavman

crazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond repute
yea i would love to have a snorkel all the flooding thats been going on lately
but im taking it to the body shop tomorrow to get it fixed and im defiantly not cutting holes in the nice new painted panels

Member of the save from the foundation
1987 sammy-Gone to a new home.
1986 Samurai- Bigshot- never finished- gone to a new home
1996 X-90 2wd- DD
crazygavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
just worth....but that's why i run a snorkel....that way i am pulling in cooler outside air instead of hot under the hood air....but i also understand that some of your rigs are too nice to cut holes into body panels to run a snorkel
yep snorkels are an effective solution and good lookin even
on nice rigs!

MY BUILD THREAD

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTBIKERICK View Post
WOW, Billsbar that sounds hella hot, i'm at sea level, we don't run that hot out here.
2 winters ago, my dad and I, plus about 6 other rigs, were climbing a mountain that had about 3 feet of old snow. My dad was in the front cutting trail for the 4-5 miles up this hill, and he kept the motor at about 5500 for minutes at a time. Finally we stopped to wait for everyone else when we got to the "home stretch corner" and noticed that we didn't have control of the clutch!

We ended up wrapping the cable up with about 50 zip-ties staggered to each-other and that worked for an hour or so and we had to do it again. Just throwing it out there for the next person who has that problem.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

do he still have the factory heatshield?

MY BUILD THREAD

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
billsbar

if you will check my Black Bear post you will see my fix, temp fix as it is. The funny part was as I was trying to fix it a Sami from Cali was comming down the trail and stopped took a look and said "yep it happened to me too" he popped his hood to show me he was running the same header on his 1.6 16 valve and he had his clutch cable routed off to the side and thru some conduit. I had my wife write down this site ( I was wearing my ZukiKrawler shirt) and told him he needed to check it out. I hope he does he had a real nice rig, 16V RUF and YJ's in the rear.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240hpsammy View Post
do he still have the factory heatshield?
No. He's got an 8v 1600 manifold and the studs broke off.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
crazygavman

crazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond reputecrazygavman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
We ended up wrapping the cable up with about 50 zip-ties staggered to each-other and that worked for an hour or so and we had to do it again. Just throwing it out there for the next person who has that problem.
only an hour or so???
my clutch cable split open on me over a year ago and its coverd with zip ties still holding strong

Member of the save from the foundation
1987 sammy-Gone to a new home.
1986 Samurai- Bigshot- never finished- gone to a new home
1996 X-90 2wd- DD
crazygavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
Bass Man

Yea, we still had 3 or so hours left of wheeling that day! There was 2-3 feet everywhere we went that day.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
86Samurai

I just moved my clutch cable away from the Thorley to the other side of the steering shaft.
Thanks.