Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
1SGDHorn

1SGDHorn is on a distinguished road
1.6 8v Intake Conversion Help

I need help with the intake plumbing on the 1.6 8v I am building out of a 1991Tracker to transplant into my 1987 Samurai

I would like to use the stock round Samurai air filter housing on the passenger's side, but the stock tracker 1.6 cast aluminium air intake crosses over the valve cover to a square air box on the driver's side.

The air horn off the 1987 carbureted Samurai has a single hole in the center and will not bolt onto the Tracker TBI.

Will the air horn off a FI Samurai bolt up to a Tracker TBI?

What are my options? Pics if possible would help.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
1SGDHorn

OK, the plan is to run the stock 1.6 cast intake horn over the Metro valve cover (it does not hit) with an open element air filter on the driver's side. I am using the Trail Tough motor mount relocation brackets with stock motor mounts. Supposedly this lowers the engine enough so it doesn't hit on the hood??? Or will I have to cut the hood and run a scoop like billsbar did?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
Here is an airceaner with tubing from a '92 FI Samurai.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...QQcmdZViewItem
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
1SGDHorn

Does anyone know, is the TBI FI the same on a 1992 Samurai as it is on a 1991 Geo Tracker?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGDHorn View Post
Does anyone know, is the TBI FI the same on a 1992 Samurai as it is on a 1991 Geo Tracker?
I really don't know. But I do like your plan posted above. I have an EFI system from a '90 Tracker. For now, I'm also gonna just run an open airfilter element (also based on Billsbar). But for SMOG testing I have an aircleaner box and ducting from a Tracker that I'll fab some brackets for.
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
1SGDHorn

I have the entire air cleaner box off the Tracker that I could probably make work on the driver's side, but was hoping to keep the stock round box on the passenger's side to be able to eliminate the air intake being on the same side as my Calmini SS headers, to eliminate the Tracker intake from crossing over my new bright red powder coated Metro aluminium bling valve cover.

I will take a look at the one on Eay and see if I think it can work. I know the Tracker intake has places that will require vacuum lines connected. The Samurai one will have to have the same or provisions to be modified.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
dogonmut

dogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGDHorn View Post
Similar but different.

Here's pic's of both of my rigs with 1.3 motors, Metro valve covers and 1.6 TBI fuel systems. The air filters do not hit the hood.

89/90 1.6 TBI

91-94 TBI
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
1SGDHorn

Though it will certainly work, I'm not all that kean on the looks of that big ole' piece of aluminium tubing running straight across the motor. I think dumping into an air box on the passenger's side would make for a cleaner instal. I'm hoping an air box/air horn off a Samurai with FI of the same year or close to my 1991 Tracker 1.6 will work. Like below???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
1SGDHorn

Ok, it appears that the rubber air horn from a FI Samurai will work on my 1.6 Tracker motor allowing me to use the stock Samurai air clearner on the passenger's side of the truck. The FI Samurai throttle body has a raised lip that is bolted onto the throttle body using the same bolt holes that the Tracker uses to bolt the aluminium air horn on. With the FI Samurai the rubber air tube is clamped onto this raised section with what appear to be a hose clamp or similiar clamp.