Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > FAQS
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

FAQS Answers to the common questions here. Please feel free to help build this area with your own FAQ's post!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
SpaCityZuki

SpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Welding up 3rd member

Ok guys im not much of a writeup person but here we go

After removing the 3rd member from the rearend I cleaned it up enough to dissmantle it without getting gear oil all over everything, then I removed the bolts that seperates the carrier. CLEAN everything very good and then do it again.

Cleanup and ready:

This is the first one I have done, but you will get the idea. Just weld the sidegears to the spider gears and both to the carrier. Dont be scared to weldup more than I did it cant hurt.

After you are done with welding the gears up put the carrier back together and weldup through the three holes on the outside of the carrier.

Hope this will help out!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work!!

thanks!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
SpaCityZuki

SpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond reputeSpaCityZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231 View Post
Nice work!!

thanks!
No problem Joe.. It should help out

I failed to mention this is a Sidekick 3rd, but you get the idea..
Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Gearhead61

Gearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond reputeGearhead61 has a reputation beyond repute
You might also want to add that unless you have a 240v MIG machine, you may want to use a stick to weld a third member. If you don't get that weld nice, hot, and deep, you've got a good chance at breaking the weld, which in turn could break your carrier, and possibly your axle housing, gears, or axle shafts as well. Crank that heat up and weld it good!

87 Sammi. SOA, 31s, and some "custom" bodywork. Big plans and a small budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madzukr View Post
i'd sell the wife if the zuk said so.
Gearhead61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
prowler

prowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond repute
believe it or not i still dont understand how the differential is going to rotate with all that welded together

can someone explain to a NOOB the same way he would explain to his 8 year old son?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
crawls2thewalls
MMMMMM SHEEP

crawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailfreak View Post
believe it or not i still dont understand how the differential is going to rotate with all that welded together

can someone explain to a NOOB the same way he would explain to his 8 year old son?
the object of this mod is to completely stop all the internal gears from moving at all..

doing this makes both rear tires turn together no matter what..(locked)

the item pictured is the whole carrier.. it will still be able to rotate..

inside it are the side and spider gears.. welding them will stop the axles from being able to run at different speeds or even directions..

normally when you turn, the inside tire will automatically slow down to compensate for the turn..

with it welded the inside tire will still keep speed and therefore scuff a little..

is this helping at all??
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
prowler

prowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
the object of this mod is to completely stop all the internal gears from moving at all..

doing this makes both rear tires turn together no matter what..(locked)

the item pictured is the whole carrier.. it will still be able to rotate..

inside it are the side and spider gears.. welding them will stop the axles from being able to run at different speeds or even directions..

normally when you turn, the inside tire will automatically slow down to compensate for the turn..

with it welded the inside tire will still keep speed and therefore scuff a little..

is this helping at all??

yes it does help

i dont really understand how the differential works yet or i havent seen any dismantled

so from what your saying the whole carrier will rotate instead of the gears inside of it?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Kingpin

Kingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud of
How open diffs work. Check out the animation.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
How open diffs work. Check out the animation.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm
so the big gear that the pinion is turnin i think is called the ring gear is inside the carrier?

if yes how does the pinion gear get to the ring gear which is inside the carrier?

tell the truth im lost

does the ring gear bolt to the carrier where those holes are?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
prowler

studied the animation

from what i see the pinion gears is connected to the ring gear some how but the pinion gears can still rotate
when drivin straight both wheel travel the same distance so the pinion gear wouldnt move.they just rotate with the ring gear
when cornering one wheel would travel more then the other forcing the pinion gears to rotate without causing the other axle to do so

am i right so far?

if yes then if you weld the pinion gears and sidegears together then the pinion gears should never rotate causing all two axles to rotate with each other no matter what

am i right?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
crawls2thewalls
MMMMMM SHEEP

crawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud ofcrawls2thewalls has much to be proud of
you got it..
Old 01-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #12
prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
you got it..

only on ZK
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
wheeler4x4samota
Wanna go wheelin????

wheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond reputewheeler4x4samota has a reputation beyond repute
looks good

GIGITTY GIGITTY GOO

Imagine it then build it
Wheel it

wheeler4x4samota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
superman23

superman23 is on a distinguished road
whats the drawbacks on welding the rear end? like drivin on street and stuff? i hear it may not be a great idea to do it cheaply like this if your drivin it
superman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
canadian410

canadian410 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman23 View Post
whats the drawbacks on welding the rear end? like drivin on street and stuff? i hear it may not be a great idea to do it cheaply like this if your drivin it
The drawback is that unlike an open rearend where when you turn, the outside tire turns faster then the one on the inside of the turn, if its welded both tires turn at the same speed no matter how sharp of a turn you make. This is only a bad thing because it causes excessive tire wear, and you will be squeeling your tires around every corner. Not a good idea if you do a lot of driving on pavement, good idea if you drive most on dirt roads.
canadian410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
Kingpin

Kingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud ofKingpin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailfreak View Post
studied the animation

from what i see the pinion gears is connected to the ring gear some how but the pinion gears can still rotate
when drivin straight both wheel travel the same distance so the pinion gear wouldnt move.they just rotate with the ring gear
when cornering one wheel would travel more then the other forcing the pinion gears to rotate without causing the other axle to do so

am i right so far?

if yes then if you weld the pinion gears and sidegears together then the pinion gears should never rotate causing all two axles to rotate with each other no matter what

am i right?

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Anyway, you have the basics. The reason the gears (inside the diff) spin with the ring gear is because they are contained in the carrier; which if you'll remember is what the ring gear is mounted too.

I think it may be easier to understand if you think of the turning animation, and then think that one wheel is being stopped, and you will see how the system allows the other to spin. Don't forget the gears in the carrier spin freely.
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
John Jung

John Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Jung has a reputation beyond repute
One more thing about a welded rear, is that it could be a problem on icy or snowy roads. But this is true with any locker. My tin-top is welded in the rear and the chirping problem is minimized by running 30 psi for pavement. I don't put many miles on this one, so the extra wear doesn't concern me.
John Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #18
virginislandzuki

virginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud of
Your better off buying a spool than welding especially if your going that far as to open your rear DIFF...sometimes anything can cause piece of weld to chip or break destroying your whole diff and 125.00 bucks compared to into the hundreds for a Diff is alot. Do it right and throw in a spool you won't regret it and you have less of a chance of getting stuck on the trail if your by yourself....just some advice from the heart....
virginislandzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
v8killer
Banned

v8killer is infamous around these partsv8killer is infamous around these partsv8killer is infamous around these partsv8killer is infamous around these partsv8killer is infamous around these partsv8killer is infamous around these parts
dont let virgin scare you ,ive been running a weld in my toyota with 38 inch tires for 5 years now. and it costs 0$
v8killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
Mikey

Mikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityZuki View Post
Dont be scared to weldup more than I did it cant hurt.
Nice work on the thread and the welding - but be careful about welding too much - if you do, you won't be able to get the sidegear back in.

I don't follow status quo - someone has to stir things up
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #21
felixnstiches

felixnstiches will become famous soon enough
besides cost wise....whats the best way to go if say you have like a 300 dollar budget...welded and save money for something else... spool or a locker and if u get a locker what kind
felixnstiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #22
prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixnstiches View Post
besides cost wise....whats the best way to go if say you have like a 300 dollar budget...welded and save money for something else... spool or a locker and if u get a locker what kind
this is a question like do aliens really exist?

there is no direct answer for your question.its going to be up to preference.i prefer spool over lockers because of what ive read and heard. lockers tend to keep some noise when locking & unlocking, but less wear on tires.but youll have to replace worn parts like the springs etc in the locker because they wear and sometimes even the sidegears because theyll wear also.youll understand how i mean if you understand how the locker works.if youre driving and the locker locks up itll have to slid and rub against the gears before the teeth fall into place therefore eventually wears.also a locker is unpredictable.you vehicle attitude will change everytime your lockers activate and visa versa.

P.S.i would only go locker if its manual or an electric or air activated locker which i can come to a complete stop and activate them

with the spool now on the other hand youre always locked and the tires would wear faster then a locker but youll know what your rig would do in every situation.samurais are considered as really light weight vehicles compared to the other 4x4s so in my opinion it wouldnt be that harsh on the tires

ill vote go welded if you cant offord spool

Last edited by prowler; 02-14-2008 at 05:38 AM.
prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
felixnstiches

felixnstiches will become famous soon enough
I understand how a locker works....but i see all these people useing lockers...in my own lil world they have too much money to spend ... tire damage doesent bother me, I run around 20 or 28 psi when i had my rig....they were pick n pull (junkyard) tyres and honestly they never let me down...i got bored one weekend so i air dem up to like 40 ...the normal truck psi and damn i swear my fillings came out...anyways... so a spool is pretty much the professional way to weld right
Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #24
crawls2thewalls
MMMMMM SHEEP

yep, same concept..

both wont let go no matter what..

unless it breaks
Old 02-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixnstiches View Post
so a spool is pretty much the professional way to weld right
nooo a weld is a cheaper way but has the same effect

ill be going welded rear until i can buy a spool