Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > FAQS
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

FAQS Answers to the common questions here. Please feel free to help build this area with your own FAQ's post!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS

GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond repute
neutral safty bypass how-to

As a trail rig i dont like the neutral switch. Bypassing this is EASY and can be done in a matter of minutes.

Unplug this wire harness from under the dash. It has 2 black wire one with a red srtipe and one with a yellow stripe. Yes this is the same one that goes to the starter sloenoid or clicky starter fix relay. it has 2 female connectors at the pedal and a clip connector to the rest of the harness. push the tab in and pull apart.

I cut the fermale ends off. Stripped the ends and soldered it together. Then i put heatshrink on it. Notice in the pic i folded the end over while it was still hot.

Next plug it back in and check for proper starter operation. Enjoy.

NOTE please try one mod at a time. Especially electrical, as you will find it is easier to trouble if something goes wrong.

GRAYWOLF GRAPHICS WILL NOT BE HALD RESPONSIBLE FOR AND DAMAGE DONE WHILE ATTEMPTING THE ABOVE HOW-TO. IT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL USE ONLY. PLEASE ENJOY THIS HOW-TO AS IT IS INTENDED FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO SAY "I DID THAT"....
Unknown year, Trail only Samurai, streched a foot, 1.6 engine, My side, ZOR bumpers and tire carrier, yj's up front. coilovers and 4 linked rear, race seats and 4 point harnesses, fully caged, 6.5 in the case with twin sticks, 33/12.50r15s on toys with FULL fenders.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, I'll probably end up doing that with mine. I don't much care for that switch either, not on the trail.

Pie
RIP Hatter
RIP Zero
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
I always thought they would fail naturally over time, it is good to know you can manually make something stop working.
nice write up.

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS

GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond reputeGRAYWOLFGRAPHICS has a reputation beyond repute
The problem is they usually fail in the open position causing a no start condition.
Unknown year, Trail only Samurai, streched a foot, 1.6 engine, My side, ZOR bumpers and tire carrier, yj's up front. coilovers and 4 linked rear, race seats and 4 point harnesses, fully caged, 6.5 in the case with twin sticks, 33/12.50r15s on toys with FULL fenders.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
SamauriShawn

SamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond reputeSamauriShawn has a reputation beyond repute
I have done that mod before. One bad thing for me was my ex got in the car and started it in gear and ran into my K5.

Heres to beer. The cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.
SamauriShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
If you like the safety feature but need the option on the trail to not have to push the clutch in you can put the wire through a switch and use it only when needed and not all the time.

Another good write up!!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS

true you can cut the red/black wire and put a single throw single pole switch in it.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Danazook
Tha Good Hood Killa

Danazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYWOLFGRAPHICS View Post
true you can cut the red/black wire and put a single throw single pole switch in it.
That is a good idea... I bypassed the switch on my 1ton... I was workin on it one day and went to start it... Well It was in gear and dam nearly ran me over!!
Rig 2
87 Zook, 1.3L EFI, CJ rear/RUF, Missing Links Front & Rear, 5.14:1 Tcase, Toys, 33 TSLs
Daily Driver Project
87 Tintop, 2wd, 1.3L, My-Side, Header
Danazook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
RedWolf
MadZuks

RedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, I did that one a while back as well. Funny how some times its the cheapest easiest mods that you appreciate the most.

My favorite cheap easy mods are this one of course, along with the thumb throttle and dash mounted gauges... cheap, easy, effective.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Billjohn

Billjohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond repute
And if you put a three way switch in there, you can wire it so that one of the positions locks it out on purpose! Just a little security when you need it... just don't make the switch obvious.

Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
RedWolf
MadZuks

RedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond reputeRedWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
And if you put a three way switch in there, you can wire it so that one of the positions locks it out on purpose! Just a little security when you need it... just don't make the switch obvious.
Damn Bill! I had not thought of that and now I have another project to add to my list!

Good hearin from you again!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is an old thread, but I think it might be best to post my question in here rather than starting a new thread. Can keep info together a bit more that way.

Looks like RedWolf and Billjohn haven't been around for a couple months, but hopefully some of you other guys should know.

Anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
Using a single pole, triple throw switch would this be wired correctly to do the afore mentioned?

Don't make fun of my drawing, I don't have mad MS Paint skills like some of you guys.

Ramsey winch, removable doors, 2" exhaust, Warrior rack, ZOR LED rear bumper
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
errr why? Easier ways to put a switch in the ignition circut.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
You do have a point there. The more I think about it though, that "dead" position in the 3 way switch would be rather useless for me anyway. If I'm going to crawl under my rig, I'm going to be positive that I won't get run over and disconnect the battery. I'll probably just wire that neutral safety switch with a 2 position switch so in 1 position I can start it in neutral with the clutch out and the other position so it acts normally.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
nbrebel

nbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond reputenbrebel has a reputation beyond repute
>>>>I installed my clicky starter mod myself and cant even remember seeing that jack.....much less if I have it ...definitely going to check, pak far from wall and put first and see if betsy cranks over.

Air Condition
Dual Auxillary fan with auto start for radiator
Rear Disk brakes
Powered & Steering
92A Alternator
Lockright locked in rear
Polaris mounts
Rancho steering stabilizer
3 Core radiator
8k HID on halo H4 lens
3" body lift

my samurai have my money like my avatar except money going lower and lower with each jump
nbrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Gonna run me a switch for this! How would you wire it to have a.

ON/OFF/AUTO?

On being bypassing the clutch safety switch/turn to start
Off being killing power/dead
Auto being like the switch was never there/push clutch and turn to start
www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
To much thinking involved. Zip tie the switch in the closed position so you can start it anytime and wire a switch into the ignition circuit if you want an easy anti theft deal. I'm OK with zip tying the switch as I grew up with manuals that those things never came on.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
Marc017

Marc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedZuki View Post
Gonna run me a switch for this! How would you wire it to have a.

ON/OFF/AUTO?

On being bypassing the clutch safety switch/turn to start
Off being killing power/dead
Auto being like the switch was never there/push clutch and turn to start
3 throw switch.. But idk how to wire it

www.crossedupcustoms.com
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc017 View Post
3 throw switch.. But idk how to wire it
Same. I think I might just put on a off/on switch wired through one of the wires. Much simpler. On it works like normal, and off it don't work.

Kind of would like the bypass but I dont know how to do that.
www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
daverbmxer

I think it would be like I drew on that notepad.. if you can make any sense of that. A 3 position switch should have 6 pins on it. One row of 2 pins will be left open, acting as a kill position. The next row of 2 pins will interrupt the existing neutral safety wires after the power has went through the switch. This should still make use of the stock switch. For the last 2 rows of pins, you'll need to splice into the wires before they get to the switch. This bypasses it and makes it on all the time. So you have kill, switched via stock safety switch, and always on positions. I can't guarantee this is right.. but in my head it seems right.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
clutch-starter wiring

Here now is an official MS paint drawing (created by an alleged "guru") of the Samurai (and Trackick) clutch/starter wiring looks like:

It also shows the wiring layout for an optional "Clicky Starter" mod.

Note that a separate switch needs to be installed in order to allow temporary bypass of the clutch switch via a switch.

Also note that +12DC arrives at the clutch switch though the ignition switch (the round, gray icon in the drawing). There is no need to apply +12VDC to any clutch pedal bypass switch unless you want your starter to run all the time or otherwise fry your electrical system!

In the original post, GRAYWOLF GRAPHICS used an extra plug (from a salvage yard?) that would normally be attached directly to the clutch pedal switch itself. He tied the two wires together to simulate a closed switch and plugged it into the circuit thus bypassing the clutch switch.

The nice thing about this mod is that you can simply plug the original clutch pedal switch back in for normal operation OR you can remove it as a cheap way to keep the truck from starting and getting stolen!

An even more effective anti-theft method would be to use the existing clutch pedal connector plug. This would require the rewiring of the plug back to the clutch switch if you ever wanted to restore normal clutch/starter operation...

I will add the defeat wiring that billjohn suggested soon...

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

Last edited by ack; 10-06-2010 at 12:15 PM.
ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #22
67fastback

67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute
Why could you just put a jumper wire in the clutch switch and go on??? That is what i did and worked fine....

-------------
84 Honda cr60r - for sale
87 Honda 200sx - for sale
67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
87 sami - "SPLAT"
87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

67fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
daverbmxer

Safety. I have people drive my rig that are new to manuals, so it wouldn't be a wise thing to do. If it's just you that drives your rig off pavement, then I'm sure it's fine.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
clowncar

clowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond repute
My 92 yota truck that i raped for parts at one time had a push botton switch/relay from factory for this purpose right on the dash.
clowncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
daverbmxer

That's a great idea, thanks for sharing! Now I won't forget to flip it back to the normal position.