Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > FAQS
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

FAQS Answers to the common questions here. Please feel free to help build this area with your own FAQ's post!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Very detailed how to install Lock Right

Step by step and pictures of every step, at least till it got dark on me.
http://www.kenbeach.com/sammy_lock_right_install.htm

I just posted this last night and I was up for several hours answering questions already. I'm glad it has helped someone. I certainly spent a ton of hours on it.

Chime in with any additions or comments.
THX, KB

Last edited by geckocycles; 11-13-2007 at 01:49 AM.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
scrubb
I'm a Toys R Us kid

scrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up and welcome to the board

scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
threewhd

threewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty cool. Plan on using the same locker in my truck. Since you put it in have you had any drivability isues? I drive mine on the street and trail.

Jefferson Davis

The problem with the world is ity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for ity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

~UNION RULES~

threewhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
chopstix21

chopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud ofchopstix21 has much to be proud of
Nice post. Very detailed!
chopstix21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by threewhd View Post
Pretty cool. Plan on using the same locker in my truck. Since you put it in have you had any drivability isues? I drive mine on the street and trail.
THX for the cudos.

I have yet to learn how to drive it. It is certainly different. It has a tendency to pull to one side or the other when you get off the gas or when you get on the gas after a shift. The engagement is hard at times both on and off. I think the pulling to one side is because the diff is off center, or it could be spring wrap or a combination of both. This behavior just started after the install. I took one lower leaf on the bottom all around. It has the Calmini 3" SPUA kit. It does work very well off road. I'm a bit concerned about the pulling when it gets icy or snowy. I'll find out soon. So far dirt traction is great. It clunks when you get on or off the gas in the turn. My side gears were a bit worn and this may have something to do with it as well. It turns well under power. I am going give it a bit more time. I am thinking about trying a spool instead. At least on the rear for more predictable handling on the street.

Anyone else have these issues?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Pittpie

Pittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond reputePittpie has a reputation beyond repute
you are not the only one with those issures.... i personally don't have one in but many people mention the noise when turning and applying the gas... never really heard to much of the pull but the off center diff does make since but this might sound kinda but are all you tires good on pressure and no broken belts??? just a thought to check if you haven't
BAAA Member #13
Pittpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice write up, I think I'll save it my files for future use. How about a picture of your Sami. I saw a white one running down 287 taward Laf. last summer that was white. And very very clean and seamed to have no problem keeping up in traffic.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
jpzuki

jpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond reputejpzuki has a reputation beyond repute
That is a damn good write up. Very impressive, will be very helpful whe the time comes.

Proud member of the bigflex padders union! Local 10001
B.A.A.A. Member #3

87' Samurai Special, SPOA with RUF and M/L's, 32x11.50x15 Kuhmo MT's, Genuine Gear Quick Lok in the rear,OTT Steering, More to come hopefully in the near future.

jpzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
threewhd

threewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info although I don't really want to go to a spool for tire wear. But driveability is an issue with me because I like hitting gears pretty hard when driving. If you do decide to go to spool let me know I'll be interested if I have the money. Thanks

Jefferson Davis

The problem with the world is ity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for ity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

~UNION RULES~

threewhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewhd View Post
Thanks for the info although I don't really want to go to a spool for tire wear. But driveability is an issue with me because I like hitting gears pretty hard when driving. If you do decide to go to spool let me know I'll be interested if I have the money. Thanks
You won't be hitting the gears hard with the Locker in place. It makes a huge noise and jumps to the side. As for tire wear, it is locked under load. You have to coast through corners. It is smoothest if you stay on the gas just lightly through corners.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
Very nice write up, I think I'll save it my files for future use. How about a picture of your Sami. I saw a white one running down 287 taward Laf. last summer that was white. And very very clean and seamed to have no problem keeping up in traffic.
http://www.kenbeach.com/sammy.htm I'll put some more pictures on.
88.5 146000 miles on it.
I had a white Sun Port on it till 2 weeks ago. I cut the front bumper off about 2 months ago I think. This one is very clean. Been a tow rig it's whole life. I probably put more miles on it in the 6 months that I have had it then all the previous years. It is my DD so it may have been me that you saw. The engine is like new, has 180 lbs compression. I put 5:14's in TC 2 weeks ago. Now I really got some pep. Still a dog up an incline. Been working on the springs and now got 21+" articulation. Still work in progress.

I'm desperately looking for someone to play with. Interested?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
i'm thinkin you ARE the one a saw. Nice rig, I live 9 miles east of I25 just off HWY7 so we are damn near neigbors it's nice to see another Sami so close.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
geckocycles

Quote:
i'm thinkin you ARE the one a saw. Nice rig, I live 9 miles east of I25 just off HWY7 so we are damn near neigbors it's nice to see another Sami so close.
Lets hookup and tell some lies. Contact me through my website http://www.kenbeach.com/contact_info.htm
I can play lots of time during the week if I have some notice. (Self employed). No crowds on the trails then. I hate backing up long distances. I'm dying to do Carnage Cyn. and Judy? Creek by Moffet Tunnel.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
billsbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
http://www.kenbeach.com/sammy.htm I'll put some more pictures on.
88.5 146000 miles on it.
I had a white Sun Port on it till 2 weeks ago. I cut the front bumper off about 2 months ago I think. This one is very clean. Been a tow rig it's whole life. I probably put more miles on it in the 6 months that I have had it then all the previous years. It is my DD so it may have been me that you saw. The engine is like new, has 180 lbs compression. I put 5:14's in TC 2 weeks ago. Now I really got some pep. Still a dog up an incline. Been working on the springs and now got 21+" articulation. Still work in progress.

I'm desperately looking for someone to play with. Interested?
Interested? hell yeah, winter is on the way and it's build time, the knocking motors time is limited the 1.6L is on the engine stand waiting for me to go thru it. The lock right 3rd member is still in the box. And I work 55 to 60 hours a week. I'm hoping by spring i'll be able to hit the mountains ( with out been towed) because there is allot of places I want to go. Rawlins pass is a kick, I like up by Brainard lake, the way into left hand canyon res.. And my brother been trying to get me to go into the back side of Gross Reservoir off Magnolia road. He has a 84 cj5 and lives off S.Boulder road. I have the first week of December off so I can work on finishing my basement and hopefully get the 1.6 apart if your bored you can always come out and help
If you see this.

chase me down.

spring is A commin

Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
billsbar

ok red X

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
geckocycles

Quote:
Interested? hell yeah, winter is on the way and it's build time, the knocking motors time is limited the 1.6L is on the engine stand waiting for me to go thru it. The lock right 3rd member is still in the box. And I work 55 to 60 hours a week. I'm hoping by spring i'll be able to hit the mountains ( with out been towed) because there is allot of places I want to go. Rawlins pass is a kick, I like up by Brainard lake, the way into left hand canyon res.. And my brother been trying to get me to go into the back side of Gross Reservoir off Magnolia road. He has a 84 cj5 and lives off S.Boulder road. I have the first week of December off so I can work on finishing my basement and hopefully get the 1.6 apart if your bored you can always come out and help
If you see this.

chase me down.

spring is A commin
Give me a call. I don't know how to contact you. I am going to look at another Sammy today in Loveland for $500. He said it has only 42000 on it and the drive train looks like new. It is an 86. It has had the top cut off and a cage. He makes crawlers and has too many unfinished projects. You are welcome to come along but I think you will be working. He had a 96 kick with a cracked block and door hinges rusted off for $300 but he didn't reply to my email in time and it is gone. I wanted the EFI off it.

I have a full machine shop and a Handyman business. Been doing Drywall since I was 19. I can help with your basement or whatever. handyken.com. I manufactured custom bicycles for a living for 23 years. geckocycles.com That is why I have the shop. Before bikes I made offroad baja bugs, dune buggies and desert racers. Was half owner in a vw wrecking yard.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.

Last edited by geckocycles; 11-14-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
geckocycles

Quote:
ok red X
Man we got to hook up. That is one sweet ride you got there. I raced RC cars on the national circuit with sponsors. I got tons of equipment. I got an Avenger gas buggy and everything else is Losi electrics. Also have a rock crawler RC. Piece of junk though, it was cheep.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #18
geckocycles

Thanks all. I'm so glad I could help. The response has been huge. My servers got slammed with all your visits. I added more bandwidth for the site. Go ahead and hit me.

KB