Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
BrutZuk

BrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond repute
Lockers in DD, help with big decision.

Ok so now my rig is almost completely built except for my axles. Which is my big question mark. I have my TT YJ kit coming, and it's time to decide what the H I'm going to do. I have 33's with a Fresh 16v about to snug its way in. As of now I have my stock Zuk axles, with Sky full OTT. I also have 4.30 gearing front and rear sitting in my garage.

BIG DECISION: Do I go Yota's or stick build the Zuk Axles?

Each Side Debate:

Zuk Axles: I already have them. I have complete steering for them, and gearing if need be. I have my pricey rims and wheel spacers on them as well that I would need to deal. They have stock shafts with no lockers. Question: If I stay with Zuk Axles, how do you suggest I lock them?

Yota's: I have a deal on a pair of Yota's, I brought it up in another thread on here, the deal is:

Front: 83 Toy Mini with 4.10 gears, brand new aussie locker, rebuilt knockles, with ARP knuckle, hub studs, high steer arms with drag link, stock axle shafts.

Rear: FJ 40, 4.10 gears and a detroit locker.

If I went with the Yota's, gearing is solved, beef is solved, lockers are solved and damn good ones at that, BUT. The huge BUT- I'm worried about the ground clearance and weight of the FJ. Another member with FJ's told me that he would only use the Toy's if it were for 35's+. I really don't want to jump to 35's. A bigger tire just sounds like more problems for my case. Daily driver, and I'm trying to keep the COG as low as possible with still doing what I want.

I figure I should definitely decide before putting on the YJ kit. If not, I'm going to have a lot of complications with that when making the swap. I'd rather do it once then twice. So fellow guru's, what in the H should I do?

Last edited by BrutZuk; 10-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
BrutZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Bowie Kid

Bowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Go with the yotas. 33's will be fine with these. The much heavier weight of the yotas will help your cog.
1990 Diahatsu Rocky 1.9td, Track/kick trans-tcase, 4.24's, Toys, yj's, front m/l shackle reverse, 33's, built in the ZOR shop.

[/IMG]
Bowie Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
col10see

col10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond repute
agreed with the yotas you will never worry about breaking
heavy axles= better traction and lower CG
87 samurai, DIY SPOA, Cj springs in front, Xjs in the rear, frame extended 6" in front, front axle moved forward 3", rear extended 13", rear axle moved back 15", shackle reversal, D44 Wagoneer axles, fozzy locked front axle, aussie locked rear, 5.89 R&P, 5.14 T-Case, 35" BFG KM2's, Chevy Saginaw pump and box.

Purpose Built With A Vengeance!
Even your Rubicon Cant Keep UP !

my build: http://www.zukikrawlers.ru/showthre...481#post448481
col10see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
badzook

badzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with the yotas as long as you can get them for a decent price..
I run 33's with samurai axles and don't have any issues but sometimes I worry im gonna snap something.. You can feel it straining occasionally..
badzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
I completely agree. Go with the Toyota's now. 33's are about the limit for stock axles. I don't have any breakage problems, but a lot of people do. I am a big fan of light cheap zook axles, but if better is available for cheap, do it and don't look back.

In such a short wheelbase rig clearance is not going to be an issue. You will also have extra width for more stability.

Now this IMHO is big. You will get more unsprung weight. Something the samurai is lacking, right now I have zook axles, and spacers. My wheelbase is fairly wide. I still feel like there is not enough weight on the ground when i do off camber stuff. i think I would be a lot more comfortable with another 50 to 100 Lbs on the axles.

Going to Toyota's now would be simple. Imagine you put all that time effort and money in to the Samurai axles, and break an axle. Then you would be wishing for those Toyota's.

I am a fan of "run what you brung", and "work with what you got". For me here Toyota's are going cost me $500-$1000 just for the axles. So the choice is clear for me..stay zook and be easy on it. Because that's what is available and the cheapest to run at the moment.

If I found a inexpensive deal on Toyota axles they would be under my rig tomorrow.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
BrutZuk

BrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond reputeBrutZuk has a reputation beyond repute
Ah shit. Looks like it's going to be Toy's, haha. I would love to be able to play more and harder knowing I have the Toy's. Just throwing this out there, what kind of price would YOU guys pay for that set? Without me saying the price, I'm interested in knowing what you guys would pay.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
well the lockers are right near $500 without the install, the high steer is near $300 or more depending on which brand, ad how complete. Add another $50 for the studs, since they put in studs and stuff they probably did a rebuild too.

Here local $1000 would be a screaming deal if they ere in bolt in condition. I would expect to pay about $1500 if I was looking for that type of a setup and had the cash to spend.

I can find a set of Toyota's here that are in bad shape for $350-$400 a good set is between $500-$800 with no upgrades.

IMHO
I am a DIY guy so I will probably find a rough set for $350 or so and make a project out of getting them ready to use.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Marc017

Marc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond repute
Go toyota's now. I had built sami axles on 33's and eventually broke them. If your worried about hanging your diff with the toyota axles shave them so you get more clearance.

www.crossedupcustoms.com
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
col10see

col10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond reputecol10see has a reputation beyond repute
for a geared locker ji steer setup i would plan on at least 450-500 for starteds that on the low end of what i would want
think 260 for each locker
410s could have come stock but if not at least 160 each
hi steer 250
your looking at just under 1000.00 in parts and that with just one r&p asuming one axle already had that ratio
even if you paid 700 you would still be getting a deal in the end
87 samurai, DIY SPOA, Cj springs in front, Xjs in the rear, frame extended 6" in front, front axle moved forward 3", rear extended 13", rear axle moved back 15", shackle reversal, D44 Wagoneer axles, fozzy locked front axle, aussie locked rear, 5.89 R&P, 5.14 T-Case, 35" BFG KM2's, Chevy Saginaw pump and box.

Purpose Built With A Vengeance!
Even your Rubicon Cant Keep UP !

my build: http://www.zukikrawlers.ru/showthre...481#post448481
col10see is offline   Reply With Quote