Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Members Location > Rocky Mountain Region
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Rocky Mountain Region Arizona | Colorado | Idaho | Montana | New Mexico | Utah | Wyoming

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
zuk rider

zuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond repute
Annual Holy Cross run!

time to start planning!

i like to get this run up early so people can plan. i would love to have a big turn out. makes for a fun time.

August 17-21! i will be in the area camping and wheeling. im good with either/or/both saturday and sunday for the meet up to wheel, as i know some people wont be camping as well. im leaving town early friday the 17th to find a good camp spot. wont be returning until tuesday morning/afternoon.

I PLAN:

FRIDAY- taking shrine pass to bypass the last bit of highway. also plan to see benson cabin, and if i get out early enough, doing lime creek as well. then heading to the holy cross trail head and finding the best camp spot i can.
-LINK LINK LINK

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY- Holy cross and Half Moon Creek. 9 am starts most likely.
-LINK LINK

MONDAY- Either chill, and do some hiking. or maybe start moving back toward town. Possibly go into Leadville for a beer and meal, then do Mosquito Pass and camp on the east side by the old mill.
-LINK

TUESDAY- Mosquito Pass(pending monday), Wheeler Lake, and then home!
-LINK

Come on people! lets have a Damn Good Time! this is the one trip I will always make, every year!

I am open to re-arranging to accomodate others schedules. however, Holy cross is a one trail per day deal. wheeler as well. half moon i have never done.

Flashboiler snow bashing approved!
zuk rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk rider View Post
time to start planning!

i like to get this run up early so people can plan. i would love to have a big turn out. makes for a fun time.

August 17-21! i will be in the area camping and wheeling. im good with either/or/both saturday and sunday for the meet up to wheel, as i know some people wont be camping as well. im leaving town early friday the 17th to find a good camp spot. wont be returning until tuesday morning/afternoon.

I PLAN:

FRIDAY- taking shrine pass to bypass the last bit of highway. also plan to see benson cabin, and if i get out early enough, doing lime creek as well. then heading to the holy cross trail head and finding the best camp spot i can.
-LINK LINK LINK

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY- Holy cross and Half Moon Creek. 9 am starts most likely.
-LINK LINK

MONDAY- Either chill, and do some hiking. or maybe start moving back toward town. Possibly go into Leadville for a beer and meal, then do Mosquito Pass and camp on the east side by the old mill.
-LINK

TUESDAY- Mosquito Pass(pending monday), Wheeler Lake, and then home!
-LINK

Come on people! lets have a Damn Good Time! this is the one trip I will always make, every year!

I am open to re-arranging to accomodate others schedules. however, Holy cross is a one trail per day deal. wheeler as well. half moon i have never done.
I hope to be back wheeling by then. We usually do all4fun but they are going to Empire this year. All depends on when the Dr turns me loose from the shoulder surgery. Last time we ran Holy Cross was with the all4fun and a bunch of heeps, we were being led by an old man in a 4 runner and we just made it to the creek crossing before we turned around and headed back to camp to make it in time for the raffle. I had a broken axle and a jeeper had a steering arm broken and the jeepers hauled ass to make the raffle, left us there on our own. Fortunately a couple guys came along and pulled us to the trailhead and took us back to camp so I could get a trailer.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
zuk rider

zuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond repute
that sounds just like a bunch of heepers! we dont work like that! would love to have you along! put it on the calendar!

wheeler lake is a great trail as well.

half moon has 6 major water crossings, and is in the shape of a y. there are 2 crossings on each leg, so you cross 2, cross 2, re cross 2, cross 2, recross 2, and then recross 2.

I CANT WAIT!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
rocknzuk

rocknzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Where are these trails? They sound awesome.
rocknzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
zuk rider

colorado! look up mount of the holy cross. its a local 14'r. the trail goes to the old holy cross city. half moon is south a bit of there.

wheeler lake is east of there, off route 9. right behind montgomery resevoir

Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
zuk rider

oh, and, come on up!

there are tons of vids to.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1613.0j5j3.8.0.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...267.2j8j1.11.0.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...638.0j9j2.11.0.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
The closest town is Leadville Colorado, close to the middle of the state. Many, many scenic and challenging trails.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
I think those dates could work for me. count me in. Love the holycross area. I could sit up by the cleveland lakes for days.

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk based buggy, 103"wb 37" Black label Comp Krawlers, waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits, 1.6 16V.
87 zuk 31" Cooper STT Pro's, SPOA,1.6 8V Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, Fr/Rr Lockrights.

catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Get up to French creek early before the Zoo. Best to do the whole trail during the week although watching the spectacle is fun too. Be prepared to spend the whole day at French Creek and hope for the best. Try to check other club rides that are happening those days and plan Holy around them if you can. Not all club rides can be found though but it sure does help to eliminate what you can. Most of those guys don't do it early, even the campers.

Good fishing around there too. I'd like to spend some time getting my line wet all around up there. Never fished around there. Have heard stories. Caught 2 14" Trout at Wheeler with no effort at all. It can get windy up there for the last three times I went up it was too windy to fly fish. Better bring a spin setup and casting bobber too.

I'd like to see a Zuk do Cleaveland Rock! Never been past there but may be up for a hike to the lakes to get a line wet.

If work continues I should be able to get a DD on the road so I can get out this year. Been way too long.

Sounds like a great trip planned.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.

Last edited by geckocycles; 04-30-2012 at 06:53 AM.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
flashboiler

flashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
I should be able to get a DD on the road so I can get out this year. Been way too long.

Sounds like a great trip planned.
Right on, been waiting for that!
flashboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
zuk rider

hell yeah Ken! will be nice to see your zuk locker in action!

Dave, i would be thrilled to see the buggy!

there is some camping areas up by the city, and i have never even seen cleveland, let alone past it. im game for camping up top and doing some fishing. or even just the fishing!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
zuk rider

i have this run cross posted at www.coloradotrailrats.org as well. though i dont expect to much interest there.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
French Creek would be a hard test for it for sure. Better bring another axle and third member just in case which I do anyway on far away trails. Got to get a bearing and 410 plate on my spare Calmini axle.

Camping at Holy Cross and hiking in to the lakes above Cleveland Rock sounds fun too if I can breath and walk at the same time. Didn't think I was going to have to train for this.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashboiler View Post
Right on, been waiting for that!
Or I could just ride with you again! I kind of like that. Don't spill near as much beer!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
zuk rider

haha!

im so ready for this trip!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Cowboy

Cowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy has a reputation beyond repute
How big of tires would a person need? My sami only has 31".
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
zuk rider

Cowboy, 31's will do all. i just did holy cross this past july with 235's. big thing is the rest. if your geared, good. if your locked, good. i have done french creek open open with no t-case gears and just 5.12's in the diff's. but it was a touch easier then.

plus, you will have the best damn group of people with you that colorado can offer. so make it if you can, cause Holy Cross is bucket list material. only other hard trail is wheeler, and its easily done with 31's.

what is your setup?

french creek

great times!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
jrnm

hell, I have seen jeeps make it across French Creek surely almost any Samurai can make it. At least after you get to where you can winch or be winched out.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
flashboiler

flashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
Or I could just ride with you again! I kind of like that. Don't spill near as much beer!
Seats always open!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
flashboiler

Zukrider on 235's was a riot that day. Only needed a few tugs.

We watched probably 40 jeeps, cherokee's, etc cross after us and they all had at least 35's most had 38's-42's and about 90% needed a strap too.

The creek changes every year, but for me at least it always gets harder!

We'll get anything across the creek!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
zuk rider

Amen, and watching Andy wheel is worth every penny of fuel!

Serious though, it is epic trip for sure!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashboiler View Post
Zukrider on 235's was a riot that day. Only needed a few tugs.

We watched probably 40 jeeps, cherokee's, etc cross after us and they all had at least 35's most had 38's-42's and about 90% needed a strap too.

The creek changes every year, but for me at least it always gets harder!

We'll get anything across the creek!
Yep and in as many pieces as it takes!
There are plenty of rock to stack if you want to take the effort or have good helpers that do. We have been pretty lucky and have had lots of time to try over and over again before other groups showed up. Then you just pull cable or strap and get it done.
I think gears are most important so you don't tax the rest of the system and as hard.

It was quite the show for sure. Bring lots of drinks, food and a chair for it can make for a long day just at French depending on the crowd. The rest of the trail is easy for most any rig. We watched plenty of people just stop at that point and watch and or get a ride in another rig to go up further.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Driveway Dreams

Driveway Dreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a blast guys. I know I can't make this one. But I look forward to see the pics afterward.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
zuk rider

thats to bad, it will be a great time!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
zuk rider

so, who is still interested in this idea? looking for a head count!